July 26, 2018
Pedestrian Deaths Increase in the Motor City
Pedestrian Deaths Increase in the Motor City. People love the longer days and shorter nights of summer. The warm weather allows people to relax and enjoy their day much easier. People often go out for a walk or a run. Normally, people stroll and jog outside in the streets in warmer and longer days without the hazard of early darkness and icy streets. Due to this, it is a reasonable assumption that there are more pedestrians during the warmer months of the year.
The number of people walking outside is increasing very rapidly according to a recent investigation by the USA Today Network/Detroit Free Press. They have investigated that pedestrian deaths increased nationwide by 46% since 2009. There were about 6000 pedestrian deaths in 2016 alone across the United States. Last year 1,945 were injured and 158 pedestrians died last year in the state of Michigan.
In the city of Detroit, there were 29 pedestrian deaths during 2016 which amounts to about 1/4 of Detroit’s 118 traffic fatalities that year. This was the highest death rate (34.5 per 100,000 residents) in the country for large cities between 2010 and 2016. Moreover, last year pedestrian deaths of 158 accounted for 6.5% of the total number of traffic fatalities. If you or your loved one was injured or killed due to a traffic accident in Michigan, the Michigan Car accident lawyers at Elia & Ponto can help you.
SUVs Cause More Pedestrian Deaths Than Other Vehicles
SUVs are a very popular choice for the drivers these days. The deaths of the pedestrians can be linked to the increasing number of SUVs on the road today. Due to their size, weight, and blind spots, they can be much deadlier for the pedestrians than other vehicles.
SUVs are heavier and larger as compared to other sedan-style automobiles. In addition to, they have heavy blunt-nosed front-end profiles. In auto accidents, their features can lead to unique crash events in which have a higher potency to lead to traumatic injuries regardless of vehicle speed. This clearly increases the chances of the death for a pedestrian with the impact of an SUV. A Michigan auto accident lawyer is a valuable resource for anyone involved in an accident.
Distracted Drivers and Pedestrians A Factor in Deaths
Drivers distracted by cell phones and other electronic devices are a growing problem. Texting while driving is one of our modern society’s growing deadly problems. Cell phone distractions among pedestrians is also a very large and growing problem across the United States as well as Michigan. Whenever a driver or a pedestrian is distracted, accidents can happen. Whether the driver or the pedestrian is not paying attention to the road, signs, crosswalks, intersection activities, etc. the chances of a tragedy increase significantly.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Whenever you are driving on roads, stay alert all times, even while pedestrians are not walking in front of or near your vehicle.
- Be careful in or near bus stops, intersections, residential neighborhoods and near school zones.
- Always yield to pedestrians, even those who are not using the designated crosswalk or those who are walking against the traffic signal.
- Always be alert whenever you are turning, there is a chance that a pedestrian is crossing from the other direction.
Safety Tips for Joggers and Walkers
- Always use designated crosswalks
- Moreover, always obey the traffic signals.
- When you are crossing a street or intersection, stow your cell phone.
- Whenever you are walking at night in poor lit areas, Use reflective armbands and wear light-colored clothing.
- Always be alert whenever you are crossing at intersections, even if you have a “walk” signal. There is a chance that a car is making a turn.
- Never use headphones while you are walking on busy streets.
People go on walks or runs to get fit, relax, and to stay in shape. Both drivers and the pedestrians need to be careful in busy areas of intersections or crosswalks. Always be alert and pay attention to the road and avoid the use of cell while driving and walking. If you or a loved one was involved in an auto accident in Michigan, a Michigan auto accident lawyer at Elia and Ponto can be a valuable resource for you or your family. Even if you were injured in Detroit or another metro Detroit city a Detroit Auto Accident lawyer at Elia & Ponto can help you.